Friday, September 7, 2012

The maiden voyage.

Yesterday was the big day...I bought, picked up, and put together my orange 8C Elliptigo!


Funny thing about the color...so yesterday I read my FB horoscope. I usually don't read them because they are silly but one of my family members had posted my sign's horoscope for the day. Guess what my "lucky color" was? Orange! Also, this was part of my reading "It's also possible that you're inspired by a source different than what you're used to, and coming up with ideas that make you wonder where they're coming from." Now if that just doesn't fit my current motivations, I don't know what does. :-) Any ways, I get excited when a silly horoscope gets it right.

I spent most of the day just putting all the extra stuff on: my bags from StandUpAndRide, my bike computer, my taillight, and setting up my Camelbak and tube extension. I had taken it out but just to the end of the street and back. Today when I got home from work I decided I was going to go out on the open roads and test my new Go (and myself) out. I mapped out the shortest route I could on MapMyRide that was outside the neighborhood and it was a 4.5 mile loop. Not having ever ridden a bike more than around my neighborhood, it didn't sound like a lot. Boy was I mistaken! I only made it to the first road that I would have turned down before I started getting worried I wouldn't be able to make it back to the house. This is going to be harder than I thought. :-( So I turned around to head back home afraid I wouldn't make it...but I did. It ended up being a 10 min, 1.8 mile ride with an average speed of 10.6 mph (according to my bike computer). Not good. This realization of my inadequate fitness level is very disappointing. My husband and I were going to try to do the Tour de Pink event that is next weekend but even with the shortest distance being 12 miles, I don't have any hope of being able to do it (I was hoping to be able to at least do the 23 mile...yeah right).

Lack of endurance aside, I think it will be a fun way to get active. I did get some stares from passing cars but I knew that was going to happen. I just wish I looked more...cool riding it but I guess that will come in time. Those people were probably wondering when the chubby, red faced girl was going to fall over dead right off her crazy contraption. LMAO Oh well, I didn't actually see any one pointing and laughing, that may just be my low self esteem playing tricks on me. So I think in these types of instances...ignorance is bliss. :-) I think I'll just have to try to go early in the mornings to limit the number of eye balls and pointing fingers. I have to work this weekend so maybe I'll just stay in the neighborhood. Not that that's any better, those people are going to be the ones who know where I live. :-( I don't know. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up, embarrass myself, and get my endurance and balance improved so I can start riding with my husband and other cyclists. I definitely will not be riding on group rides until I can make it longer and look less ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment